The Irish Whiskey Awards began in 2013 and have gone from strength to strength. Celtic Whisky Club and Irish Whiskey Society members have judged the awards until now and all blind tasting/judging has taken place in Dublin.
Cork Whiskey Society members have been invited to take part in judging the Whiskey category for the 2017 awards. Ally Alpine, of the Celtic Whiskey Shop Dublin and Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder Killarney, has kindly agreed to host blind tastings in Cork for our members.
We will carry out our blind tasting/judging sessions in Coughlan's, of Douglas Street, on Sat 2nd September and Sat 9th September from 11am to 5:30pm. We will run a BBQ on both Saturdays around 2pm.
If you are a member of the Irish Whiskey Society or Celtic Whiskey Club, please note that you can judge at the Cork sessions if you e-mail us in advance (email@example.com) to book your space and produce your membership card on the day.
Spaces are limited and we encourage all members to attend at least one session and preferably two. There are a number of whiskey categories which will be divided over the sessions and will remain a secret:
* Best Overall Irish Whiskey
* Best Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey
* Best Irish Cask Strength Whiskey
* Best Irish Single Cask Whiskey
* Best Irish Single Grain Whiskey
* Best Irish Blended Whiskey - RRP €60 or more
* Best Irish Single Malt Whiskey - 13 Yrs & older
* Best Irish Blended Whiskey - RRP under €60
* Best Irish Single Malt Whiskey - 12 Yrs & under
Further categories relate to Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year, International Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year, and Munster, Leinster, Connacht and Ulster Whiskey Bar's of the Year. We will communicate more on these categories in due course.